So, I recently had the wonderful opportunity to interview Malinda Lo, the author of Ash. Here is the interview:
1. So, both covers of Ash are gorgeous. What are your opinions on them? Do you have a favorite?
I love both of them! They are totally different, obviously. I feel like the U.S. version is more about Ash's internal state of being, whereas the U.K. one is a more external representation of the idea of "Cinderella."
2. What made you decide to write a fairy tale book?
Some of my favorite books when I was growing up were fairy tales and retellings of them, so I wanted to write a book I wanted to read.
3. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Don't give up! You have to believe in yourself.
4. Who are some of your favorite authors?
-- I absolutely love her fantasy novels and fairy tale retellings. More recently, I've become a big fan of Kristin Cashore's Graceling and Fire. And I'm currently rereading 's trilogy, which is brilliant.
5. Is there anything you would like to add?
It is quite an astonishing experience to have my novel -- a thing I made up in my head! -- coming into the world and into the hands of readers. I am so excited. :) I hope that Ash speaks to many of you.