1. How did you come up for the idea of The Mark?
I wish I had a great it-came-to-me-in-a-dream kind of story, but I don’t. Maybe I should make something up. I’m reading LIAR right now, can you tell?
The truth is I was brainstorming story ideas (with myself) and it just kind of popped up: what if you knew it was someone’s day to die? The more I tossed it around, the more possibilities I saw. So, I ran with it.
2. Have you ever thought of what it would be like if you had Cassandra's power? What do you think you would do in her position?
I think I’d do almost exactly what she does. I put myself in her head a LOT while writing so – good or bad – she thinks a lot like me.
3. Do you have a personal favorite character from this book? If so, who? Oh boy. That’s like picking a favorite child…impossible! Cassie’s the obvious since we spend so much time with her, but I really do like all of them. I’m not sure I could write a character that I don’t enjoy or connect with on some level.
4. Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
Write a lot. Whether you feel like it or not. Don’t worry if it stinks, just get it on paper. Learning to refine and edit is at least half the battle and you can only do that if you’ve got something to refine and edit.
5. Is there anything you would like to add?
Thanks so much for having me and for reading!